Sunday 29 March 2009

WINDSURFING in Croatia

A little bit about the history
First windsurfers came in Croatia in the early 1970's. They were Western Europe tourists from Germany or Belgium. Croat and other tourists were stunned and amazed by their appearance!

Ok, since, after all my origin is from Croatia and I was first windsurf instructor back in 1980's, let me tell you about the best places to surf in Croatia:
The two main places I will talk about are Korcula town or Premantura (near Pula).

Pros for Korcula - we've been there many times and thought it was beautiful, and if you do the windsurfing bit of your holiday in Korcula (as opposed to Premantura) it means your total travel is a lot less.Cons - You can't find any windsurfing schools on the internet but there are ones. I know they exist - I talked to the people running one when I was there in 2006, but like to get things sorted out a bit before we travel.

Pros for Pula - Pula looks amazing. Check a useful site (www.windsurfing.hr) and have already - accommodation is at huge campsite that is overpriced and not really your thing (although the boyswould probably enjoy it).
Bol, island of Brac - Everybody knows this is very popular for windsurfing, and I was there last year and, to be honest, were fairly under whelmed by the place, nowadays. Possibly because I had heard and I know how fantastic it was, so it was never going to live up to your expectations. Also, I spent over a week on Brac (mainly Supertar) so would like to see somewhere new.


No comments:

Post a Comment